Buying existing plates (5)
- Check the Entitlement of the personalised plates you want to buy is under the Seller's name with LicenSys (the Government Plate Manufacturer) on 0800 REMAKE. Licensys can only provide a YES or NO answer due to privacy reasons.
- Once you agree on the sale details, you and the Seller must complete a Transfer of Entitlement form. The Seller must hold the current Entitlement to the plates to do this. Make sure you retain a copy of the completed form for your records.
- Send a copy of the completed form to: email@example.com
- Call 0800 REMAKE to organise manufacture of your plates (a manufacturing fee for the new plates will apply). If the Seller has the physical plates, you need to visit your nearest AA or VTNZ agent to register them to your vehicle.
You sure can! KiwiPlates has over 50 designs to choose from. Head over to the plate redesign page and enter in the combination to get started.
The Entitlement of Personalised Plates database is held LicenSys (the Government Plate Manufacturer) and cannot be disclosed due to privacy reasons.
If you’d like to confirm if the entitlement of the personalised plates you want to buy is under the seller's name, please call Licensys on 0800 736 253. They will be able to provide a YES or NO answer.
We’re glad you asked! It’s important to get this done. Simply contact LicenSys (the Government Plate Manufacturer) to verify the Seller holds the current Entitlement. You can call them on 0800 736 253 and make sure you have the combination and the Seller’s name ready. Due to privacy reasons, they can only confirm with a YES or NO answer.
This means that the Seller purchased the personalised plate but never got them made or put on their vehicle. They still own the Rights to Display to this combination which they can on-sell if they choose.
To get them manufactured, call 0800 REMAKE to organise manufacture of your plates (a manufacturing fee for the new plates will apply). Contact Licensys on 0800 736 253 to enquire about manufacture fees. The NZTA (New Zealand Transport Agency) requires that plates be attached to a vehicle within 5 days of getting them manufactured.
Selling existing plates (3)
You can list your plates on KiwiPlates Resale Noticeboard for three months for just $39.95. Once sold, you must fill out a Transfer of Entitlement form.
Personalised number plates are all unique and different plates appeal to different people. Here are some things to keep in mind when pricing up your plate:
- Generic plates that appeal to a wide range of people tend to fetch more than plates that reflect a very personal message or interest.
- Correct spelling rather than substitutions (ie using 1 for and I) can increase value.
- A highly desired word, name or phrase will attract a higher price.
Check out other listings to see what other private sellers are asking but remember these prices reflect the views of the individual plate owners.